Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation 2 (RUSLE2) and Iowa Phosphorus Index Workshop
June 12, 2007
8:30 AM to 4:00 PM
ISU Extension - Downtown Des Moines Office
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
About the Workshop:
The RUSLE2 and Iowa Phosphorus Index Workshop is a collaborative effort between United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) - Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), Iowa Manure Management Action Group, and Iowa State University Extension. The morning session of the workshop will focus on RUSLE2 including installing software programs, database management, performing dominant critical area determinations, and operating RUSLE2 with example. The afternoon session will include discussions on ephemeral erosion, gully erosion, Iowa Phosphorus Index, and its use in Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Manure Management Plans. USE of RUSLE2 and Iowa Phosphorus Index in DNR, EPA, and NRCS plans will be discussed.
This workshop is designed for agronomists, engineers, consultants, regulators, educators and others who are involved in developing plans for IDNR and/or NRCS.
The workshop will focus on understanding of the operating parameters for RUSLE2, selection of input values for RUSLE2, developing and saving management operations for RUSLE2. The workshop will educate participants on the use of Plan, Worksheet, and Profile Layouts of the NRCS Simple Template in RUSLE2.
Those Attending Will Learn About:
- Using RUSLE2 in conservation planning and resource management
- Impact of land cover and conservation practices on soil erosion
- Managing land resource for minimal water quality impact
- Implementation of Iowa Phosphorus Index for nutrient planning
Who Should Attend:
- Agronomists, engineers, and consultants involved in nutrient management planning for livestock producers.
- Regulators involved in permitting or evaluating nutrient management plans, manure management plans and/or comprehensive nutrient management plans.
- Individuals involved in the development of nutrient management plans, manure management plans and/or comprehensive nutrient management plans.
- Individuals interested in learning long term impacts of different combinations of tillage, crop rotations, and nutrient management.
Continuing Education Credits:
The workshop will qualify for Six (6) Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) Credits (5SW, 1NM) and three (3) Professional Development Hours (PDH). Participation certificates will be provided.
Each registrant must bring a Microsoft Windows compatible laptop computer equipped with a CD-ROM drive and Microsoft Excel Software. The majority of work done during the workshop will require the use of Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation 2 (RUSLE2) and Iowa Phosphorus Index Calculator. These programs and associated information will be provided on a CD. Registrants must have administrative password for the laptop they bring to the workshop to be able to install software.
This workshop will be held at ISU Extension Downtown Des Moines Office at the Pappajohn Center located at 1200 Grand Avenue in Des Moines, Iowa. For parking information and complete directions to the Pappajohn Center, please visit on-line at http://www.dmhec.com/parkingmapsdirections.asp
Workshop size is limited to 30 participants. Registration is open to all on a first come first basis.
The workshop will be taught by Barb Stewart, USDA - NRCS, Kapil Arora, and Angela Rieck-Hinz, ISU Extension.