Advanced Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation 2 (RUSLE2) Workshop
June 13, 2007
8:30 AM to 4:00 PM
ISU Extension - Downtown Des Moines Office
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
The Advanced RUSLE2 Workshop is a collaborative effort between United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) - Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), Iowa Manure Management Action Group, and Iowa State University Extension.
This workshop will enable participants to explore practice based changes that can be designed to reduce erosion. It will focus on RUSLE2 principles, dividing fields for RUSLE2, understanding tillage operations, and conservation practices both in RUSLE2 & Iowa Phosphorus Index, combining soil analytical results, addressing land needs for Iowa Phosphorus Index requirements, and targeting sensitive areas.
This workshop is designed for agronomists, engineers, consultants, regulators, educators and others who have previously attended a "RUSLE2 & Iowa Phosphorus Index" workshop and/or have experience using either software.
Those Attending Will Learn About:
- Various templates & software short-keys embedded within RUSLE2
- Dividing complex fields for purposes of RUSLE2
- Understanding and implementation of conservation practices as associated with RUSLE2 & Iowa Phosphorus Index
- Managing dominant critical area under land resource limitations
- Interpreting and combining soil test results for use in nutrient management
Who Should Attend:
- Participants who have previously attended a "RUSLE2 & Iowa Phosphorus Index" Workshop and are oriented with both software.
- Service providers, regulators, and individuals involved in the development of nutrient management plans, manure management plans and/or comprehensive nutrient management plans.
- Individuals interested in using RUSLE2 to access long term impacts on soil sustainability
Continuing Education Credits:
The workshop will qualify for Six (6) Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) Credits (5SW, 1NM) and three (3) Professional Development Hours (PDH). Participation certificates will be provided.
Each registrant must bring a laptop computer pre-loaded with latest versions of Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation 2 (RUSLE2) and Iowa Phosphorus Index Calculator.
This workshop will be held at ISU Extension Downtown Des Moines Office at the Pappajohn Center located at 1200 Grand Avenue in Des Moines, Iowa. For parking information and complete directions to the Pappajohn Center, please visit on-line at http://www.dmhec.com/parkingmapsdirections.asp
Workshop size is limited to 30 participants. Registration is open to all on a first come first basis.
The workshop will be taught by Barb Stewart, USDA - NRCS, Kapil Arora, and Angela Rieck-Hinz, ISU Extension.